Friday, October 23, 2009

Pre-Op Testing

Monday was pre-op testing day.

My appointment was for 2:00, but the letter that the hospital sent said to be there 15 minutes early. Of course this leads me to wonder why my appointment wasn't just scheduled for 1:45... And, needless to say, they didn't see me until 2:25.

Fortunately, I had some knitting with me, so I was able to get in some knitting on my 5-sock project.

The hospital has its Surgical areas well separated from the Medical areas, so I don't feel like I was unnecessarily exposed to any of the current flu strains. (I'm a little fearful about the flu this year, I think the media exposure about the flu has left me a little paranoid).

OK, enough chatter...

My first stop at the Hospital was with the secretary. I had to produce my insurance cards, and sign numerous forms (including insurance, privacy, surgical consent, etc.)

Then it was off to an interview with a nurse. She went over my current medications and asked medical questions (i.e, previous medical procedures and drug allergies). Then she asked some personal questions, such as my living situation - I believe this line of questioning is so that the best post-op care is planned for. I live with my husband, who can take time off to assist me after the surgery, so it is my expectation that I will come home and go to a therapy center for physical therapy. If I lived by myself, they might send me to a physical rehabilitation center for a week or so, or plan for in-home physical therapy.

Next was the testing... First they took 5 vials of blood, then did an EKG and finally a couple of chest X-Rays.

All-in-all, it took a little over the hour at the hospital and there was nothing too painful.

Fortunately after the initial wait to get things started, I went from one thing immediately to the next.

Here's where my paranoid tendancies come out again... But I aways try to take my own book or knitting with me when I know I may have to spend time in medical waiting rooms so that I limit my germ exposure from the waiting room magazines. And the bonus is that I can spend my time productively while I wait.

The next adventure will be my pre-op physical in 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment