Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Not the other one!!!!

Things had been going along very well with my left knee.  Everything was on schedule.  I was down to using a cane and I had started to drive....

UNTIL last Wednesday (December 23rd) I was getting ready to go to Physical Therapy when, while attempting to stand up, I torqued my RIGHT knee.  All within a couple of seconds, I had extreme pain, the knee cap went where it doesn't belong (and quickly returned to where it does belong), and I let out a loud screech (although my husband described it as a blood curdling scream).

We quickly decided that I could put weight on it, but that it wasn't stable.

I called the surgeon's office - who was on vacation (no surprise there).  I left a message for his nurse and ask her to call me back.

So, I got dressed with much assistance from my husband.  I couldn't lift my right leg while I was seated.  And I very gingerly went off to Physical Therapy.  Two of the Physical Therapists evaluated it and concluded that it was strained and said that it should take about a week to improve.  If it didn't show improvement, I should make an appointment with the surgeon.  And if I found that I couldn't put weight on it, I should go to the emergency room.

When I returned home, I was in communication with the Surgeon's Nurse.  She also said that if it didn't improve in a week, I should come see the Surgeon and that I should start to take anti-inflamitory medication.

Christmas was awful for me, and many tears were shed :-(   My Husband had to work, we had an ice storm, and my entire day was spent with my knee up being iced.

But, by Saturday, the Christmas blues were over and I was starting to move better.  By Sunday, I was even able to go out for dinner.

I'm Happy to report that at Phyical Therapy yesterday (Monday) I was able to do some unassisted straight leg raises and I hope to be back to the stationary bike and stepper on Wednesday.

No big plans for New Years, but hopefully no painful events either!

It would be reasonable to expect that this would have created wonderful knitting time for me - but oddly enough, it didn't.  I had a terrible time concentrating, so all I did was a sock and a half :-(

My knee is improving (and I think I'll be able to forego the trip to the Surgeon) and my knitting is now back on track with the sweater projects.

Have a Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment